It's pretty surreal here after Ike, when I'm at work or at Eileen's house (where I've been staying the past few days) it feels like things are completely normal and then I leave the library or the house and see all the downed trees and power lines and Point of Distributions and lines at gas stations and it hits me again.

We stayed in and weathered the storm though it was hard to get to sleep during all that wind! The house came away unscathed, though the roof and top story of the dad's barn got torn off and the corner of the back porch roof got peeled back. Other than that we were extremely lucky. On the downside, we don't have power and probably won't for some time. But there are so many people without power who need it more than me that it's not as annoying as you'd think. And of course, dad rigged up a crazy powerful generator the other day that powers pretty much the whole house.

Since the library had power (and internet) we opened on Monday with just a few of us working, and we've been open all week. And it has been crazy! What's impressed me the most is how patient and understanding everyone has been. I mean, 1/2 of the city was without power and we had all of our computers online for people to get to the FEMA site and to email their friends and family, but people waited nicely and got off the computer when their hour was up.

Keith and I have been helping out at the EOC (Emergency Operations Center) during lunch which would have been overwhelming earlier in the week but now it's just people calling in about when they're power will be back on (Answer: we don't know). While we were there today we got special badges to scan to get in the back with the mayor and all of the Emergency staff. Pretty VIP stuff, especially when the Library Director herself doesn't have one. :)

In non-hurricane related news. My grandmother is going into hospital to get the battery replaced on her pace-maker and the doctors are concerned because her blood is a little thin. Also, my Uncle Kevin is sick, and this is a man who would never admit to being sick voluntarily so it must be serious. So my mom left San Marcos this morning to drive to Jackson, TN leaving Robin in San Marcos with Katie and her roommate Christina. This, in turn, means that I'll be driving up to have a sister's weekend and bring Robin home at the end of it.

So things are not too bad for me and mine. For which I'm thankful. I only wish it was the same for everyone! :(

1 comments:

Amber said...

I'm glad your house and family are okay. I can't even imagine what it is like down there.

I hope that things go well with your grandma and uncle - I'll be thinking about you.

Miss you Sti!!